Julia Maloney Scholarship
Julia Maloney was an elementary school teacher in Garden City for forty-seven years. She was so devoted to Garden City youth that she left a large part of her estate to further the education of Garden City High School graduates. This scholarship is awarded in her honor: $3,000 annually for four years.
- A candidate for graduation from Garden City High School
- Candidate must currently have at least a 90 weighted average
- Candidate must be planning to attend a post-secondary institution
- The candidate will submit a 250 – 500 word essay describing the impact a special teacher had in his/her life.
- This award is made possible by Julia Maloney, a teacher who wanted to shed light on a job she loved.
- It is helpful for students to think of this as they consider the teacher and write the essay.
- Exceptional academic achievement
- Significant involvement in school and community activities
- Attached application must be submitted to Guidance Office (typically due in early March).
- Two letters of recommendation (from other than relatives) must be included with the application.
- At least one letter must be from a Garden City resident. The letter should speak to the character, integrity and or uniqueness of the student.
- Copies of reference letters from your Guidance Department file are not acceptable.
- All questions must be answered completely.
- Include a copy of High School Transcript and Activity Sheet. The Activity Sheet should reflect school and community activities, as well as any awards and recognition you have received in these activities.
- Finalists will be interviewed by the selection committee in early May.
- Scholarship will be presented at the Senior Awards Ceremony in May.
- The winner will read his/her essay during the graduation ceremony in June with the recognized teacher present (if possible).
If the winner chooses to postpone his/her college education, the scholarship may be reserved for up to one year from the date of graduation.
Please check back early next year for the 2019 application!